cpio

Bob Daniel rad at genco.bungi.com
Thu Nov 29 06:55:02 AEST 1990

In article <Nov.27.21.57.00.1990.19848 at remus.rutgers.edu> mef at remus.rutgers.edu (Marc E. Fiuczynski) writes:
>A while ago I cpio'd some stuff to multiple diskettes.
>It is possible to cpio large files or a collection of
>files out to multiple diskettes.  Unfortunately, I forgot
>how to cpio them all back from the disks to the hard disk.
>Cann anyone tell me what the args are for cpio to read in files
>from multiple disks!!!

You need to cpio to the raw device when going over multiple volumes.

For SysV/386, use:

cpio -ocvmB >/dev/rdsk/f0
                  ^ raw disk device
                       ^floppy 0

Reading back:
cpio -icvdmB </dev/rdsk/f0

If you want to start on a disk that is NOT the first one, use the 'k' option.
cpio -icvdmBk </dev/rdsk/f0

The 'k' option will ignore the header info.

Use the 'u' option if you want to overwrite files with the same name.

For 3B2, the raw floppy device is '/dev/rdiskette'