LLF Problems using TMSFMT on 304MB ESDI drive in Olivetti 6386

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.informix.com
Thu Nov 8 11:35:17 AEST 1990

The setting: a clear, crisp winter morning surrounding a 6386/16
             which has been transplanted with a WD1007A-WAH ESDI
             controller and a Micropolis 1558 304MB (formatted)
             drive:

Act I:       The protagonist attempts to LLF the drive using the AT&T
             LLF utility (TMSFMT version 2.10.3, fix 84).  When the
             drive parameters come on screen, they are wrong-o
             (1221 cyls vs. 800-something, 36 sectors vs. 51, etc.)

Flashback:   I have run this same LLF on the Intel 6386E/33 without
             seeing this problem.  I suspect that the LLF is consulting
             the BIOS and using the drive type in some kind of internal
             table lookup, since the drive type numbers for this drive
             differ between the Olivettis and the Intels.  However,
             nothing in the LLF doc indicates that it is Intel-specific.

Conflict:    Is there a difference?  Is there an LLF that works on the
             Olivettis?  The 6386/16 in question has the new ROMs (1.14),
             which are supposed to support this drive, and SETUP has the
             drive type defined properly.

             Any ideas appreciated.   We now begin our intermission...
             (smoking prohibited except in the outer drive bay...)

--
Alan Denney      aland at informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

I'm Pro-Anarchy...   and I Vote!