Establishing a UUCP site

David C. Albrecht dca at toylnd.UUCP
Fri Nov 30 16:58:15 AEST 1990

It seems to me that one of the purposes of establishing a 7300/3b1 group
would be unifying the various hierarchies so that a posting by someone
on the unix-pc subnet can reach those who only receive a Usenet feed and
vice versa.

If the disjoint unix-pc hierarchy is maintained we have all the same problems
just with different group names, very little has been gained.  While the
concept of a moderated sources groups may be interesting, is the
corresponding unix-pc.sources going to become moderated also or just be
gatewayed into the 3b1 group?

Personally, I would rather see the various unix-pc groups gateway'ed into
sys.3b1 or att.3b1 or sys.7300 or att.7300 or sys.3b1or7300 or whatever.
I don't think the sources traffic is enough to require moderation.  But if
it is decided to go the moderated sources route I think it should be a
unix-pc subnet/Usenet wide decision that applies across the entire net with
the Usenet sources group being gateway'ed into unix-pc.sources and the other
groups gateway'ed into the 3b1/7300 group.  If the the single group concept is
used then Usenet traffic would dump into unix-pc.general.  If the split out
sources is used then the sources would dump instead into unix-pc.sources.

David Albrecht