Fate of unix-pc.* (was Re: CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.sys.3b1)

jeffrey templon templon at copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Nov 22 01:14:40 AEST 1990

OK, I will quit crossposting to news.groups for now.  Thanks.

I will also put in my two cents' worth about the 'what do we then do with
unix-pc.general' debate.  I say, cut 'er loose.  I am aware of the argument
that people will be forced to take a whole heirarchy (comp) in order to
get comp.sys.3b1.  My best information says that this is not true; apparently
it is not a simple thing to select only a few groups, but then neither is
setting up HDB with a telebit. Soon after comp.sys.3b1 is established I bet
some person will post a 'guide to extracting comp.sys.3b1 ONLY during a
news feed' just like we now have 'HDB_modem.Z' at cheops.  In my opinion,
the benefits outweigh the extra difficulty, especially since we should be
able to heave our collective wisdom at the problem of taking only a select
few groups as feed out of the whole mess.

That takes care (in my mind) of the argument saying 'we NEED to still have
unix-pc.*'; I have not addressed 'we need to CUT LOOSE unix-pc.*'.  I'll
do that now.

The reasoning is simple - if we keep unix-pc.* around, and it is gatewayed
with comp.sys.3b1, then we will still get all the 'how do i hook up unix on
my PC?' messages.  For me, this was the primo consideration for changing the
name.  This was someone else's point, sorry I can't remember just who or I'd
ack.

The remaining out for unix-pc.* would be to propose that it NOT be gatewayed
to comp.sys.3b1, or that the gateway would only be one way (from comp.sys.3b1
into unix-pc.general but not the other way 'round.)  I don't think that
our vote will pass on news.groups if this sort of thing takes place; they
always seem to be concerned with issues like 'why doesn't rec.video already
fill this need?', etc.  I believe that if we propose to keep unix-pc.general
around for ANY REASON except as an alternate naming for comp.sys.3b1 then
we will fail.  Also I think it is counterproductive to split the group in
two.

OK, I've had my daily two bucks' worth (inflation) -  I am sure others
will have things to say about this.  Have a good day.

				Jeff