Monthly posting about Unix-PC network

paul kirkaas kirkaas at makaha.cs.ucla.edu
Sat Nov 3 15:56:36 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov1.080516.14051 at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> unix-pc-request at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG writes:
-According to the monthly information postings from Gene Spafford, there is
-a Unix-PC network available at many sites:
-
-<Unix-PC
-
-<Another such hierarchy is the "unix-pc" distribution.  This consists of
-<groups devoted to users of the AT&T Unix-PC.  These groups were
-<originated as a mailing list started by three owners of AT&T Unix PCs:
-<Gary Smith, David Dalton and Kathy Vincent.  As the list expanded, it
-<turned into a newsgroup hierarchy, and more and more sites began to
-<carry the groups; hundreds of sites now carry these groups.  To receive
-<them, you need to contact a site already getting them; att, gatech,
-<mit-eddie, psuvax1, ucsd and ukma are well-known sites getting these
-<groups and the admins there may be willing to help find a feed should
-<you desire (and ask nicely); uunet also carries these groups. The
-<unix-pc groups circulated include:
-
-<unix-pc.bugs		Bug reports, fixes & workarounds.
-<unix-pc.general 	General information and discussion.
-<unix-pc.sources 	Source code to various programs.
-<unix-pc.uucp 		Configuration and management of uucp on Unix-PCs.
-<unix-pc.test 		Test group.
-
-If your site cannot get the unix-pc.* groups via regular news, contact the
-address below to be added to the mailing list.
-
-<unix-pc-net
-<    Contact:  {ames,pyramid,vsi1}!zorch!unix-pc-request (Scott H. Mueller)
-<              unix-pc-request at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
-
-<    Purpose: To provide redistribution via mail of the unix-pc news
-<    hierarchy to sites that don't or cannot receive it as a regular
-<    distribution.  The special address "zorch!unix-pc" can be used by
-<    subscribers to post to the group unix-pc.general.

Well, this is a nice idea, but the only group I am really exited about here
is unix-pc.sources --- and that's the group I was told was too big
to forward via email.  UCLA is a pretty big school and we get all the
newsgroups I've ever heard of; but the local net administration looked
into the unix-pc newsgroups and said it was pretty tough for them
to get a feed here.

If my understanding is correct, the feed would be essentially automatic
if the unix-pc newsgroup were under another pre-existing hierarchy.

Why not just move the whole unix-pc tree under comp.sys.unix-pc, which
is clearly where it belonged in the first place?  I don't know much about
how the net works, but it seems to me that is obvious and correct solution.
This would also allow us to separate out discussions of 3b1's and 3b2's
and 6386's, which have nothing really to do with each other.

Comments?

Paul Kirkaas
kirkaas at cs.ucla.edu