Get curses from Aspen Scientific (Re: Less Optimized Curses)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Tue Nov 20 14:09:56 AEST 1990

In article <35926 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
[...]
|>Along these lines, I checked the AT&T ToolChest today (Tuesday) and found
[...]
|>I did NOT find ``libcurses'' available as an unbundled product.
|>
|>Does anyone know if the source(s) to ``libcurses'' with SVR3.* terminfo
|>support are available from AT&T without requiring a complete UNIX Source
|>License?  I'm not asking for a "freebee", I'm looking to purchase it for use
|>with my product which MUST have the same "look and feel" no matter what SysV
[...]
Well I doubt AT&T sells libcurses as an unbundled product, but you can get
curses ported to many other platforms (specifically DOS) from other companies.
In my former company we dealt with Aspen Scientific.  Unfortunately I
don't have their phone number handy, nor their whereabouts, but most
PC magazines that sell advertisements for software will have information
on it.  (Check with the "PC Connection" magazine/advertisement too)

Basically their curses, based on curses from SVR3.2 (with color) is
99.9% if not 100% compatible with AT&T curses.  It runs on everything
from DOS, UNIX, and VMS.  It makes porting curses-based applications
much easier!

They offer some curses-products as well, something called "Formation" which
handled FORMS and other PC-like windowing (pull down windows, icons,
dialog boxes, etc...)

I'd recommend it -- I have no connection with Aspen at all, just call me a
satisfied developer.

-L.
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| ...!{ames,cs.utexas.edu,pacbell}!icus!lenny           attmail!icus!lenny  |