comp.sys.3b1? (was Re: Monthly posting about Unix-PC networ

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Nov 11 19:56:17 AEST 1990

ruck at sphere.UUCP (John R Ruckstuhl Jr) in <315 at sphere.UUCP> writes, among
other things:

"	... Some never responded.  Some responded that they didn't
	carry unix-pc, but would start (thanks hp-sdd, hpcc01, hp-col).  Mike
	Rodriquez at hplabs said, essentially, "I *won't* carry it because I
	don't see that it is beneficial to HP".  I wrote back asking him to
	reconsider, hoping that he wouldn't apply a criterion to unix-pc that
	he wouldn't apply to, say, rec.arts.tv.soaps.  This logic, and a
	"spirit of USENET" appeal failed to persuade him.
"

Yow!  My commendations on your sleuthing!  I was wondering what was happening
there, esp. after NUMEROUS times when the entire unix-pc.* hierarchy would
disappear within minutes after arriving, as if someone manually deleted just
those files (but leaving on-line a lot of "other" notesgroups that *I* would
call questionable and of no possible benefit to HP).  And, no, I don't work
at H-P Labs, I just occasionally read stuff while there visiting colleagues,
attending the Computer Colloquium, etc.

The above, coupled with John's other anecdotes, presents a VERY compelling
case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.  I
sincerely wish I could devote the time myself, but I've taken on so many
other activities that I have no additional "free" time.  I would definitely
vote "YES" if someone sends out a formal request to form the newsgroup.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]