Ascertaining file name given a HD bad block number on 3B1

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Wed Nov 7 21:09:34 AEST 1990

In article <35622 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Does anyone know if there's a method (or program) to ascertain to which
>file on a mounted file system a bad block belongs?  The bad block could
>be specified by any of physical sector, logical block, or cylinder/track/
>sector.

The 'bf' utility should get you close.  It only takes logical block
numbers, and gives you inode numbers, but it's easy enough to convert
from physical sectors or cyl/trk/sec, and once you have the inode it's
a simple matter of using 'find -inum nnn' to get the filename.

I believe I obtained this from ohio-state; the man page says it was
written by Brant Cheikes so that seems likely.

--
Karl Swartz			 |UUCP	{uunet,decwrl}!daver!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308			 |INet	kls at ditka.chicago.com
"I never let my schooling get in |BIX	kswartz
the way of my education."(Twain) |Snail	1738 Deer Creek Ct., San Jose CA 95148