Help needed: ENTER RUN LEVEL??

Chuck Bacon crtb at helix.nih.gov
Fri Nov 30 01:04:43 AEST 1990

I've gone and done something stupid!  I don't know what yet.
I first started by using ldrcpy and placing the verbose loader
in the boot block.  That was OK.  It simply asked me whether to
boot off the Winchester (0) or the floppy (1).  But now, after
I had powered the 3b1 down to put the vidpal in, when I rebooted,
right after where it says I have a WD2010 installed, it says:

ENTER RUN LEVEL (0-6,s,S):

If I enter any digit, it goes away forever.  If I enter s or S,
it boots in single-user mode, with only swapper, init, and two
other daemons running beside my (su) shell.  At least I'm in!

But now I wonder what RUN LEVEL means, and if there's something
I can give that prompt which will boot normally!

Incidentally, it was a revelation to run fsck and see all the
garbage it found!  I cycled through fsck at least five times,
to get rid of all the complaints.  After reviewing them one by
one, I deleted about 25 files from lost+found.

But help!  Anyone know what this RUN LEVEL prompt means, and
where it comes from?

--
Chuck Bacon - crtb at helix.nih.gov - 301-496-4823
	"After all, computers have rights too!" - Ernst Bacon, 1898-1990