FM ERRORS

Eric J. Nihill eric at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
Sat Nov 17 01:44:23 AEST 1990

   I know this may sound very basic, however it is worth repeating.

  3B2's, by design, run dirty. They love to suck up every dust ball,
fuzz bunny and sock in the area. Before attempting to boot a old
3B2/300-310-400, take the time to wash down the components. ( 5
minutes in the pot scrub cycle should do it for you ;-) ) After
you have flushed the boards, clean the connnectors. Be sure to use
a product that is designed to clean connectors and does not leave
a film behind.
  I have 'fixed' several 310's this way.

 As for the SANITY TRACK FAILURE, I can not over emphasize the
importance of getting the AT&T 3B2 Computer Maintenance
Reference Manual. It comes with a floppy disk that has several
maintenence programs on it. One program on the disk, idtools,
will be destined to become your best friend. By using idtools,
you can select the Hard Disk Formatt option. This routine will
formatt your disk, then write the sanity track. Another routine
on the disk will just write the sanity track.
 The disk, idtools ( don't get devtools- old stuff! ) will boot
up from firmware mode.

 Other maintence books available are the Error Message Manual,
the Off Line Diagnostic Manual and the Computer Crash Analysis
Guide.

  To order, call 1-800-432-6600. Be sure to specify the computer
model that you have.

					Eric

--
     Some do, some don't.           |       eric at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
    Some will, some won't.          |      ames!pacbell!sactoh0!eric