Reorganization of comp.sys.att (was: CFD: create comp.sys.3b1)

Mark H. Weber markw at gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com
Tue Nov 27 15:21:39 AEST 1990

In article <8352 at gollum.twg.com> david at twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>In article <1990Nov20.040329.5968 at bagend.uucp> gatech!bagend!jan at ncar.ucar.edu (Jan Isley) writes:
>
>Weeell.. sigh.... Maybe it's a good idea to do this after all, *but* ..
>
>>WHY NOT comp.sys.att.3b1?

Yeah, as much as I'm annoyed at AT&T for abandoning this excellent product,
it does have the AT&T name on it, so most people would look for it there.
So it looks like the best thing to do is to do a reorganization of the
comp.sys.att group:

    comp.sys.att.3b1    7300's, 3b1's and related CT machines
                .3b2    Can include the 3b2-clones (3b5, 3b15, 3b20..)
                .misc   Other stuff

>>WHAT ABOUT THE unix-pc. groups?

There are two problems with the unix-pc groups: 1) distribution, and
2) cross-posting. It may take several attempts to set up a reliable
unix-pc feed, and even then articles sometimes fail to propagate fully.
Some regions are unable to get a feed without incurring long-distance
charges, or administrators are unwilling to make the effort to pick
up groups which are outside of the mainstream hierarchies. With part
of the traffic in comp.sys.att and part in unix-pc, it is necessary to
read both groups to get all of the information. Not all articles are
cross-posted. Even if we did create a comp.sys.3b1, articles would still
be cross-posted to comp.sys.att.

If we split up comp.sys.att as shown above, then we would eliminate the
need for both the unix-pc and u3b hierarchies, and eliminate the need
for all the cross-posting. It would also probably improve the distribution
reliability for the information that we 3b* drivers need so desperately
to keep our machines on the road.

Mark

--
  Mark H. Weber                   | Internet: markw at GVL.Unisys.COM
  Unisys - Great Valley Labs      |     UUCP: ...!uunet!cbmvax!gvlv2!markw