No Passwd for nuucp

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Tue Nov 6 02:32:04 AEST 1990

jpr at jpradley.uucp (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

>On my machine, uucp, uucpmgr, Umurphy, Uhombre, Utrigere, and many others all
>have the same uid/gid.
>Is this bad?
>Is the scheme for nuucp to give it a different uid/gid?

	Had an experience several years ago involving uucp communications
between a UNIX PC 7300 and, as I recall, an Altos 3068. A problem which
bedeviled me for days was finally traced to identical uid's for both the
uucp shell and nuucp daemon logins.

	It's possible you may experience no problem giving all the uucico
logins the same uid, but keep in mind that the shell will consider the
name assigned to the first of those uid's to be the owner of all files
owned by that uid. Having an identical gid (say, "uucp") should be no
problem.