Bug in passwd(1M) SV/386 R3.2.2??

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Oct 27 03:36:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct24.204747.22088 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>passwd -d <name> is supposed (a) to remove the password for <name> and
>also (b) to prevent the system for prompting for one.  It does (a) but
>not (b).

See login(1).  Look at /etc/default/login and note the PASSREQ=YES
entry.  Be sure you turn off password aging for the uucp accounts,
though - the FACE setup always turns it on.

Now, if this relates to your anon uucp setup keep in mind that you
don't have to omit the password - you can just make it public instead.
Also, you should probably use a different login name for the
anon setup than any known machines are using.  This lets you set
up different access permissions since the Permissions file
entries are chosen based on LOGNAME on inbound calls.  I like
different logins for each known host as well, but mostly so
a simple "who" lets me see what machine is connected.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us