booting 3b2's to single user mode: PLEASE HELP!!

Joe Ziegler ziegler at mtunf.ATT.COM
Wed Oct 10 07:05:16 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct3.150507.22097 at cbnewsh.att.com>, jgy at cbnewsh.att.com (john.g.young) writes:
> In article <8413 at milton.u.washington.edu>, joel at milton.u.washington.edu (Joel Reynolds) writes:
> >
> > Does anybody know of a method by which I can boot the machine but
> > only to single -user mode?  This way I would avoid the problem created
> > by the conflicting tcp/ip software as it would not be initialized.
> >

> If you are booting /etc/system and it crashes before the
> message "Generating a new /unix" comes out you can probably
> just boot /unix to get your old O.S.
>
> If this fails boot on /boot/KERNEL and be ready to specify your system
> configuration!

Or use magic mode.  For those of you who don't know of it, do this:

	- Get out your installation tape or the first floppy
	  of your installation set.

	- Boot from the floppy/tape.

	- When it gives the menu fo full restore, partial
	  restore, etc., enter "magic mode".

	- The system says "POOF", and you now have two extra
	  choices, one of which is shell.  Choose shell.

	- You are now in single-user mode, running from the
	  tape/floppy.  Mount the hard-disk root partition
	  as /mnt, and change the initdefault line in
	  /mnt/etc/inittab.

	- Unmount the hard disk and reboot.

This approach can be used for many problems.  It may be helpful to
mount /usr from the hard disk, as well as root, and set up your path so
that you can access all the tools on the hard disk.

Are you a little nervous now about letting people have physical access
to your 3B2?  Good!

		Joe Ziegler
		AT&T Bell Laboratories
		West Long Branch, New Jersey