rmgr Remote Window Manager for MGR

Howard Chu hyc at math.lsa.umich.edu
Wed Oct 17 11:00:04 AEST 1990

I tried posting this to alt.sources previously, but it seems not to have made
it out intact...

Rmgr is a program I wrote, using the socket and session startup code from
Oliver Laumann's screen program. Run on a remote host, it allows creation
of multiple sessions, each in its own MGR window. It also allows for an
rmgr session to be suspended and resumed, as well as completely detached,
for reattachment at a later time, even from a different workstation. Like
screen, it uses BSD sockets and pseudo-ttys. (The use of sockets can easily
be replaced with a FIFO. I don't know anything about setting up virtual
terminals in Sys V, though.)

The program is stable, but does not yet have any fancy configuration options.
I use it from an Atari ST running MGR at home, dialed up to a machine at
work. From there I start up rmgr and get everywhere else... If you've got
an ST, Sun, DECstation, Mac, or Xenix-PC in the same situation, then you
can run MGR and you may want to give this a try.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip