StarGROUP DOS Server insecurities.

John Breeden jbreeden at netcom.UUCP
Sat Oct 27 11:18:30 AEST 1990

In article <40913 at cc.usu.edu> JRD at cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) writes:

>	Has anyone commented on the ability of an ordinary DOS client to
>execute the StarGROUP DOS Server command SRV and stop the entire server?
>	I pulled the plug on mapping the attutil logical name across the
>network where this ability is sitting right in the open as SRV.EXE. The
>trick is to edit the file RULES.LST and remove the last line invoking
>server file NETSTART.BAT. But this was not quite enough because a user
>can use Kermit to log into the Unix server and do exactly the same bad
>things via FACE.
>	Overall this seems to be a cavernous security hole.
>	Joe D.

Yes, I'd say that leaving out passwords on a Unix system is a bit of a
security hole (-:

You have an old release of StarGroup. It no longer even uses the same
application layer that you are now using (nor support for DOS servers -
another big security hole in itself).

StarGROUP is up to release 3.4 - it's Lan Manager/X over either ISO,
Netbeui and one more unannounced transport layer - and three different
layers of security.
--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden at apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden