Questions about StarGROUP Software

Rajeev Dolas rkd at rick.att.com
Sat Oct 20 03:21:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct16.173745.18064 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I'm in the process of installing StarGroup software (Version 3.2) on a
>386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 and a bunch of Zenith PCs running DOS, and
>have run into a couple of small things.
>
>1.  The "DOS Client Server Admin's Guide" mentions that it "...is
>possible to configure a computer as a concurrent client/server..." but
>neither it nor the "386 Server S/w Installation and Admin Guide" tell
>how to do this.

	The term "concurrent client/server" was/is almost exclusively
	used for DOS fileservers.  You would not have the concurrent
	client/server as you asre using a unix file server.
	Unix machines can only be file servers unless the SimulTask
	Client program is installed on the Unix box.

>2.  The error messages section of the DOS guide mentions a "Simul-Task
>Client S/W Installation & Config Guide."  Does this suggest that a
>client must be running DOS -- even if it's under Simultask -- to be a
>client for a StarGROUP server?

	Clients are of 2 types.  One strictly running under DOS and
	the other is the simultask client.  Simultask client needs
	1) Simultask, 2) Simultask IEM tools program, 3) DOS, 4) simultask
	client interface program and 5) the regular DOS client program on
	the UNIX machine.

>3.  I have a DOS application installed in a shared directory tree and
>I'd like to prevent users from writing to any of those directories.
>However, it appears that the program itself writes temp files to its
>"home" directory because making the directory read-only produces error
>messages.  What should I examine to determine if I can make the
>application write its temp files somewhere else?

	Look into the configuration section for that application.  Check
	if you can change it's default "home" dir (an e.g. would be
	turbo-c, where most of the default dirs can be changed).  If that
	cannot be done then create a menu for the users using the quick
	menu editor, link the application's dir and user's data dir thru
	quick menu and then change the "startup run location" to be the
	user's data dir, so by default the files created would be stored
	under the data dir.  You could also set the trap option in the
	menu where by the user cannot quit out the menu.

>Thanks,
>Pete
>--
>Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
>Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
>UUCP:...!princeton!mccc!pjh  1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690
>Internet: pjh at mccc.edu	     Trenton Computer Festival -- 4/20-21/91

	Hope this helps!

	Rajeev Dolas.
	Systems Engineer.