What type of terminal is /dev/console?

Jeffrey L Bromberger jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Thu Oct 18 23:53:33 AEST 1990

I dumped the ua and converted to mgr about 3 months ago.  In the
process, I also stopped loading wind.o.  Now here's where the question
comes in.

When I log in, or when mgr exits, I see funky characters at the bottom
of the screen.  From poking around, it looks like the CI (cursor
invisible) termcap string for a S4 terminal.  Well, no s4
functionality when the window driver is gone.  The /etc/profile claims
it's an adm3, but that also fails - vi can't do it's screen stuff.
While I agree it's not often I want to use /dev/console, it'd be nice
to be able to use it in an emergency to edit files.  Since the manual
is as effective as always :-( does anybody out there have the info
I'm looking for??

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject.

Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility
jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu			jeffrey at ccnysci.BITNET
	Anywhere!{cmcl2,philabs,phri}!ccnysci!jeffrey