Hayes modem auto-bauding

Gary S. Trujillo gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us
Mon Oct 8 07:01:51 AEST 1990

In <902 at gnosys.svle.ma.us> I write:

> ...the trick is to replace uugetty, which is the beast that sits there
> waiting for the modem to do something, and forks a login when the right
> something happens...

[ bunch of stuff about autobauding getty from mystery person deleted ]

Well, by a strange quirk of fate, a getty which does autobauding and more
has just been posted to comp.sources.misc:

| From: paul at devon.lns.pa.us (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.)
| Newsgroups: comp.sources.misc
| Subject: v15i004: Enhanced SYSV Getty/Uugetty, Ver 2.0...
| Date: 6 Oct 90 00:03:52 GMT
| Sender: allbery at uunet.UU.NET

>From the README file:

| 			   Getty Kit, Version 2.0
|
| 		  Copyright (c) 1989,1990, Paul Sutcliffe Jr.
|
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|

| WHY THIS GETTY:
|
| As most people have seen, the stock getty provided on Unix/Xenix
| systems lacks many features that can be useful.  The getty included in
| this distribution adds several features that I needed on my own system,
| plus includes several "Wouldn't it be nice if ..." features I've heard
| mentioned around UseNet.
|
| Getty 2.0 trys to emulate a "standard" System V getty in every way it
| can.  For instance, it uses the SysV /etc/gettydefs file (although you
| may give it a different name).  It also uses an /etc/issue file, if one
| is present.
|
| Added features include:
|
|     +	Can be used as a normal getty, or as "uugetty" to allow
| 	bi-directional usage of modem lines.
|
|     +	Reads a "defaults" file at runtime, so that a single binary
| 	can be configured differently on individual lines.  This also
| 	allows you to change getty's behavior without recompiling.
|
|     +	Let's you specify default erase and kill characters, instead
| 	of the ancient '#' and '@' convention still used in some
| 	"modern" gettys.
|
|     +	Extensive debugging (to a log file) can be enabled at compile-
| 	time.  The command line argument to envoke debugging is an
| 	octal number -- the bit pattern determines which aspects of
| 	getty's behavior are logged.
|
|     +	Let's you specify a program other than "login" to be executed
| 	after the user name is entered.
|
|     +	(and the best for last:)  The line can be "initialized"
| 	before sending the login banner (/etc/issue) and prompt with
| 	the use of an expect/send sequence not unlike that used by the
| 	UUCP L.sys (or Systems) file.
|
|     +	(and new in version 2.0:)  The CONNECT message from the modem
| 	can be used to set the line speed; no more having to toggle
| 	the speed by sending <break>'s or CR's.
|

| REQUIREMENTS:
|
| Getty 2.0 should drop right in to any AT&T (System III or V) Unix
| or derivitive.  It has already been successfully installed on:
|
| 	Tandy 6000		Tandy Xenix 3.2  (Microsoft Xenix 3.0)
| 	NCR Tower 32/400	Unix SVR[23]
| 	80386 clone		SCO Xenix V/386 2.2
| 	Everex STEP 386is	ESIX SVR3.2 Rev C

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds very nice.  If anyone gets it to
work, please let us know.

    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst