uucp vs. nuucp logins <was: No Passwd for nuucp>

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Mon Oct 29 03:37:39 AEST 1990

jpr at jpradley.uucp (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

>BTW, what's the point of 'nuucp' as a public, unpassworded access instead of
>just plain 'uucp'?

	While many systems are delivered with a "uucp" login running the
uucico daemon shell, the vendors (and users) who follow this practice
overlook the value of having a uucp *administrative* account to handle
system configuration and maintenance. That account requires an interactive
shell.

	Our practice - and that of some vendors - is to support a default
uucp login with an interactive shell (like /bin/sh), plus a default nuucp
account with a uucico daemon shell. As required, I can then proceed to add
additional uucico shell accounts.

						shwake at rsxtech