Timer resolution on a 3B1

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Mon Oct 22 19:51:11 AEST 1990

billg at cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) in <9019 at helios.TAMU.EDU> writes:

	"Is there any way to get finer than 1 second timer resolution on the

Not clear for what purpose you need a "timer."  I just noticed one reply that
used a "busy-wait" (or "spin busy) loop to delay for a specified time.

If you just need a time-of-day resolution, you can get 1/60 second increments
using the times(2) routine as I posted a month or so ago re: my version of the
gettimeofday(2); actually the resolution is platform dependent ... see ``HZ''
in /usr/include/sys/param.h for the value on YOUR system (it's 60 on the 3B1).

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]