Patch to the "Frequently asked questions and hints ..."

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Wed Sep 12 04:36:56 AEST 1990

There were some small errors, I made a few polishing touches, and here's
a patch.  The Frequently asked questions and hints about the UNIX PC will
be posted monthly.  It shouldn't be updated much now unless I get
a lot more suggestions ...  I hope this was useful to everyone.

--- cut here --- --- cut here --- --- cut here ---

*** old.common-Qs	Mon Sep 10 17:59:14 1990
--- common-Qs	Tue Sep 11 14:28:30 1990
***************
*** 9,15 ****
            as well as some frequent problems and useful hints with them

!        Last updated: Mon Sep 10 15:43:01 EDT 1990
  		     by Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Software Systems
  		     <lenny at icus.ICUS.COM>

--- 17,23 ----
            as well as some frequent problems and useful hints with them

!        Last updated: Tue Sep 11 14:00:25 EDT 1990
  		     by Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Software Systems
  		     <lenny at icus.ICUS.COM>

***************
*** 16,22 ****
         This file is not just for the novice UNIX PC user, there are
         helpful hints for everyone, from the novice to the most
         experienced users.  Please email me any suggestions, additions
!        or corrections that you may have.

--- 24,31 ----
         This file is not just for the novice UNIX PC user, there are
         helpful hints for everyone, from the novice to the most
         experienced users.  Please email me any suggestions, additions
!        or corrections that you may have.
!

***************
*** 80,88 ****

      The Miniscribe and Hitachi disks used in the 40MB and 67MB machines
      parks the heads automatically, and loudly, when the power is turned off.

!     After the machine is shutdown, insert the Diagnostics floppy disk and
!     boot from it.  Select Park Disk Heads from the Diagnostics menu.

   4. How do I open the case?
--- 89,101 ----

      The Miniscribe and Hitachi disks used in the 40MB and 67MB machines
      parks the heads automatically, and loudly, when the power is turned off.
+     Also note that many newer drives have auto-parking mechanisms,
+     check with your specific manufacturers for more information.

!     If your drive doesn't auto-park, or you want to make extra sure that
!     they heads are in the parked position -- after the machine is shutdown,
!     insert the Diagnostics floppy disk and boot from it.  Select
!     Park Disk Heads from the Diagnostics menu.

   4. How do I open the case?
***************
*** 122,129 ****

   5. How can I put in a larger hard disk drive?

!     Upgrading from a 10, 20, or 40MB to a 67MB drive requires a 3B1 power
!     supply and a 3B1 case top (the 40MB and 67MB drive is full-height).
      There are other solutions to this, you can get a half-height drive that
      is faster than 80ms seek time (which the old 10MB and 20MB drives were)
      and have more disk space.  As long as the drive is a ST506/MFM interface,
--- 135,142 ----

   5. How can I put in a larger hard disk drive?

!     Upgrading from a 10MB, 20MB, or 40MB to a 67MB drive requires a 3B1
!     power supply and a 3B1 case top (the 40MB and 67MB drive is full-height).
      There are other solutions to this, you can get a half-height drive that
      is faster than 80ms seek time (which the old 10MB and 20MB drives were)
      and have more disk space.  As long as the drive is a ST506/MFM interface,
***************
*** 201,215 ****
      the UNIX PC OBM can be called by the UNIX PC OBM.

!  8. What is the operating system?

      The operating system is based on UNIX System V Release 2, with
!     extensions from BSD, System V Release 3 and Convergent Technologies.
!     The most recent version is 3.51, with a 3.51m FIXDISK (2.0) available.
!     The FIXDISK can be gotten from AT&T directly, they will send it out
!     to you free of charge.  Just call the Hotline Support line at
!     1-800-922-0354, and tell them you want the free FIXDISK 2.0 for the
!     UNIX PC.  The FIXDISK is also available on OSU Archives as FIXDISK+IN.Z

      Changes in 3.51a FIXDISK 1.0: (all changes are also included in
      the later release FIXDISK 2.0 -- see below)
--- 214,229 ----
      the UNIX PC OBM can be called by the UNIX PC OBM.

!  8. What is the operating system?  It's origins?

      The operating system is based on UNIX System V Release 2, with
!     extensions from BSD 4.1, BSD 4.2, System V Release 3 and
!     Convergent Technologies.  The most recent version is 3.51, with
!     a 3.51m FIXDISK (2.0) available.  The FIXDISK can be gotten from
!     AT&T directly, they will send it out to you free of charge.  Just
!     call the Hotline Support line at 1-800-922-0354, and tell them
!     you want the free FIXDISK 2.0 for the UNIX PC.  The FIXDISK is
!     also available on OSU Archives as FIXDISK+IN.Z

      Changes in 3.51a FIXDISK 1.0: (all changes are also included in
      the later release FIXDISK 2.0 -- see below)
***************
*** 501,507 ****
      In what Convergent considered future releases of the UNIX PC, there was
      to be a 2400 baud modem.  This machine was never fully developed, and
      therefore there is no 2400 baud modem.  The machine was to have a
!     60MB QIC tape, as well as a 68020/68881 option.

  18. What do the LED's mean on the left side of my machine (through the grill
--- 515,521 ----
      In what Convergent considered future releases of the UNIX PC, there was
      to be a 2400 baud modem.  This machine was never fully developed, and
      therefore there is no 2400 baud modem.  The machine was to have a
!     color video, 60MB QIC tape, as well as a 68020 CPU/68881 FPU.

  18. What do the LED's mean on the left side of my machine (through the grill
***************
*** 518,524 ****
      3 RED:    Heart beat LED. This is toggled on the whole second.

      Additional information is available in the HwNote series 1-15 that are
!     archives, yes you've guessed it, on OSU.

  19. Can I really get 4MB of memory, even with a 1.5MB combo card, 512K RAM
--- 532,538 ----
      3 RED:    Heart beat LED. This is toggled on the whole second.

      Additional information is available in the HwNote series 1-15 that are
!     archived, yes you've guessed it, on OSU.

  19. Can I really get 4MB of memory, even with a 1.5MB combo card, 512K RAM
***************
*** 690,698 ****

      If you are in the Silicon Valley area, contact Thad Floryan
      <thad at cup.portal.com> for information on how to go to the
!     "AT&T UNIX User's Group meeting", the third Wednesday of every month.
!     Although it's a generic AT&T UNIX group, 80% of the members own
!     UNIX PC's, as well as Thad, who runs the group.

  27. Where can I get my machine serviced?  Fixed?
--- 704,712 ----

      If you are in the Silicon Valley area, contact Thad Floryan
      <thad at cup.portal.com> for information on how to go to the
!     "AT&T UNIX User's Group meeting", the fourth Wednesday of every
!     month.  Although it's a generic AT&T UNIX group, 80% of the members
!     own UNIX PC's, as well as Thad, who runs the group.

  27. Where can I get my machine serviced?  Fixed?
***************
*** 731,737 ****

  28. My clock stopped?  What's wrong?

!     You're battery is dead.  On the UNIXPC motherboard there is a 3.0 VDC
      lithium battery.  That battery keeps the RTC (real time clock)
      operating.  Unfortunately the battery is soldered to the motherboard,
      in most cases.  It's either the round cylinderical canister type,
--- 745,751 ----

  28. My clock stopped?  What's wrong?

!     Your battery is dead.  On the UNIXPC motherboard there is a 3.0 VDC
      lithium battery.  That battery keeps the RTC (real time clock)
      operating.  Unfortunately the battery is soldered to the motherboard,
      in most cases.  It's either the round cylinderical canister type,
***************
*** 757,762 ****
--- 771,777 ----
      Syntax for afio to restore is:
      # cd /
      # afio -ivk /dev/rfp021
+               ^ k - option to allow dealing with corrupted archives

  31. How can I get my machine to ask what load device and what program
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |