C compiler bugs on 386 and 3B2

Kevin Darcy kevin at cfctech.cfc.com
Fri Sep 28 12:11:27 AEST 1990

In article <4087 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>I just tested this myself (3B2/1000 Model 80, 3.2.2), and... ZOWIE!! It's way
>>beyond unfriendly! It breaks one of the "sacred" rules of Unix - no direct
>>writes to (block-device, mounted) filesystem directories.
>
>All "ld" has to do to produce that behavior is to unlink any existing
>target file and create a new one; most versions of UNIX allow the
>super-user to unlink directories (yes, I know, SunOS doesn't; however,
>it doesn't disallow making hard links to directories - if it's going to
>disallow removing hard links to them, it should bloody well disallow
>making them in the first place).  It most definitely doesn't have to do
>"direct writes to ...  directories".

(Point well taken about SunOS, btw. I've been bitten by that one.)

Yes, of course you're right. I was unwittingly giving AT&T the benefit of the
doubt. It's hard to believe that a system utility would go OUT OF ITS WAY to
unlink a directory with files in it...

If this EVER happens to me accidentally, I'm calling it in, though.

kevin at cfctech.cfc.com 		  | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...sharkey!cfctech!kevin          | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 948-4863 		  | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 948-4975 		  | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034