Can't Write VHB - drives are good

roger at rogerf.austin.ibm.com roger at rogerf.austin.ibm.com
Thu Sep 20 03:57:46 AEST 1990

In article <9300085 at bradley> brad at bradley.UUCP writes:

>I have 2 drives (on 40 meg miniscribe, and on 71 or 67 miniscribe).
>Both came out of 3b1's but were used else where.  The problem is that
>I can format them on the other machine, but when I try on the 3b1 it
>tells me that it can't write the VHB.  What can i do to get theses
>things to format.

I have experienced this exact problem before.  The bad component,
believe it or not, was the power supply.  Yes, the machine would
power up diagnostics, completely format the drive, then fail
with "CANT WRITE VHB"  or something like that.  In the case of
my power supply,  the solder around a number of the pins for
the ribbon cable had cracked.  I re-soldered all the pins, and
was back in business.

--
Roger Florkowski      (AUSTIN)roger at rogerf.austin.ibm.com  (VM) ROGERF at AUSVMQ
(outside of IBM)      <cs.utexas.edu!>auschs!ibmaus!rogerf.austin.ibm.com!roger
Roger Florkowski      (AUSTIN)roger at rogerf.austin.ibm.com  (VM) ROGERF at AUSVMQ
(outside of IBM)      <cs.utexas.edu!>auschs!ibmaus!rogerf.austin.ibm.com!roger
(home)		      cs.utexas.edu!taliesin!roger
(512) 823-4220 TIE 793