Ports of GNU products to 3B2's

Gregory Gulik gulik at motcid.UUCP
Fri Sep 21 02:03:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep19.173809.3278 at lsuc.on.ca> jim at lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
>i am interested in finding out what GNU stuff has been ported to the 3B2
>(400/500), System V 3.2.1.
>
>i understand that Groff is a reasonable replacement for DWB, but requires
>a C++ compiler.
>
>has GNU C been ported to the 3B?
>has GNU C++ been ported (or is GNU C a prerequisite)?
>
>has Groff been ported to normal C?

One thing at a time.  Groff NEEDS C++.  I tried compiling it
on a 3B15 with AT&T's C++ 2.0, but had no luck.  No biggie, that
system already has the real nroff/troff anyway..

Now, gcc and g++.

Yes folks, there IS a port of the GNU gcc compiler for the 3B2/3B15
line of computers..  G++ requires gcc as a prerequisite.

The bad news?  Of course there's bad news!!!

It is NOT finished, and it's a port of an old version of gcc.  I have
the source to gcc and gdb for the 3B2 on my system at home.  I am
trying to coordinate an effort to complete and modernize this port.
I also have binaries for gcc which I just received.

If you are interested in helping out, contact me at home at
greg at gagme.chi.il.us

-greg

Gregory A. Gulik
	uunet!motcid!gulik  ||  greg at gagme.chi.il.us