Help UnixPC: init died

Chiu-Tai Law lawc at super.ece.jhu.edu
Sat Sep 1 00:08:07 AEST 1990

I tried to install mgr couple days ago.  Somehow there must
be mistake in my rc and inittab files and the screen is freezed
after the login prompt.  So I attempt to boot the machine by floppy
and use the original files.  While I made another mistake (I pushed
the DEL key too late), some file in etc had been deleted.  To make
the long stroy short, I mess up the file in /etc (may be mixing files
from 3.51m and 3.51).  And end up with the error message:

   Panic: init died
whenever the machine is booted from hard disk.  I do not want to erase
the whole disk since I have tens of MByte of useful files (I checked
they are OK but just that the machine cannot boot from hard disk).  I
am willing to reinstall 3.51 and fix disk 2.0 etc (but now I cannot even
do this).

Any help or suggestions are welcome!

Chiu Tai Law				lawc at super.ece.jhu.edu
(301) 338-7976