More RAM for my 7300

Mark A. Fleming mark at ncoast!calvin
Sat Sep 8 10:06:56 AEST 1990

     Yes, it is possible to upgrade the memory on your motherboard from
1/2 Meg to 2 Meg.  The operation involves removing the 64Kx1 chips,
soldering in sockets, and then adding 256Kx1 memory chips.  A jumper must
also be changed to indicate memory size.  This is no trivial project,
since it involves soldering/unsoldering a multilayer board.

     An excellent step-by-step description of the process was posted about
two years ago.  I've checked my copy of the Hardware Notes by John Milton
(jbm at uncle.UUCP) but did not find the description there.  Perhaps Lenny
knows the source of these instructions?  Anyway, as a start, I'd suggest
you check the recent posting to this group about the osu-cis archives.
I will check this weekend myself to see if I can find out more.  As the
proud owner of an early model 7300 myself, I can tell you that .5M is just
not enough.  You should also toss the 20M drive at your earliest
convenience and replace it with at least a 40M drive, such as the ST251-1.

maf          calvin!mark at ncoast.ORG