nroff availability (was: Number of users limit for Unix 3.2.1 ?)

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Sun Sep 30 23:01:45 AEST 1990

ted at eslvcr.wimsey.bc.ca writes:

>>>...  Not
>>>being able to format and print man pages is ridiculous.  Expecting
>>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>man pages? what man pages?
>>AT&T Sys V 3.2.[012] are not distributed with man pages.
>>that's another $10K
>
>What man pages? Presumably the same man pages they had in mind when
>they made deroff(1) part of the Foundation Set. I believe that most

What I had in mind are the manual pages that are distributed with
user-supported software such as cnews, kermit,... etc.  Even the
3b1/7300 provides functionality for printing out man pages.  That
is on reason I keep my 3b1 around.  The 3b1/7300 nroff Laserjet
filters are pretty decent, and it wasn't all that hard to concoct
replacements for the missing macros ( -ms, for instance) that live
in /usr/lib/tmac.

I like the idea of electronic documentation because electronic
documentation is easier to keep up to date, saves resorces, can be
searched using my computer, saves natural resources,...

I'm usually not much of a fan of Apple Computer and the Macintosh
line of computers, but I do like the way they did a/ux 2.0.  We
recently bought a Macintoosh II cx.  Buying the mahcine bundld
with a/ux only added a couple hundred dollars to the cost.  A/ux
2.0 has a nice graphic shell, man pages, troff, postscpit printer
support, sl/ip, tcp/ip, uucp, nfs, integrated support for a popular PC
O/S (namely, the Mac O/S).  Adding X-11 costs about $250.  Where
they stick it to you is the printed documentation costs about $500.
Since there is on-line electronic documentation, I don't mind too
much.  What isn't too much fun is the hardware; the II cx is a
pretty slow computer, despite the fact is sports a 16.5 MHz 68030
and FPU chip.  A/ux is available on CD-ROM, which is a neat idea.

==Bill==
--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511