my ROOT is DEAD ! What am I going to do ?!

Art Gentry gentry at kcdev.UUCP
Fri Sep 21 05:50:33 AEST 1990

In article <2633 at ttardis.UUCP> rlw at ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes:
}In article <1990Sep18.035609.9248 at chinet.chi.il.us>, floydd at chinet.chi.il.us (Floyd Davidson) writes:
}>In article <1070 at das13.snide.com> dave at das13.snide.com (das13!dave) writes:
}>>In article <245 at geocub.greco-prog.fr>, lath at geocub.greco-prog.fr (Laurent Lathieyre) writes:
}>>>
}>>> /bin/rootsh is a shell script which make an echo to warn
}>>> that you are super-user and make /bin/ksh
}>>> /bin/rootsh has the following access rights -rwx------ root users
}>>
}>>The shell script is your problem.  If you aren't running 'sh' or 'ksh', whats
}>>going to run your shell script?  What you need is a 'C' program!  Try this one.
}>
}>The default in /etc/password can be set to a shell script, and in some
}>cases it is very handy.  You do not get the services of /etc/profile
}>or a $HOME/.profile, instead you get exactly what you put in the shell
}>script.
}
}It's been my experience that login and su insist on the shell for root be
}/bin/sh

not true!  I run 23 3b2's of various vintages and unix releases, all of
them have root's default shell defined as ksh. ie.

root:askjdfhja:0:1:Sysadmin(Art):/:/bin/ksh

I have no problems with this what-so-ever.  I have not tried pointing
root's shell to a script file instead of a shell, though I do this
regularly with users id's with no problems either.  For those users
that I don't what to have access to a shell at all, I'll point their
"shell" to a script, one entry of which is SHELL="", which prevents
them from getting to a shell at all.

| R. Arthur Gentry   Gentry and Associates  Excelsior Springs, MO  64024 |
| Email: gentry at genco.uucp          ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |
| The UNIX BBS: 816-221-0475        The Bedroom BBS: 816-637-4183        |
| $include {std_disclaimer.h}       "I will make a guess" - Spock - STIV |