SLIP for the 3b2

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Sat Sep 8 02:48:10 AEST 1990

In article <1035 at ncis.tis.llnl.gov> guerra at lance.tis.llnl.gov (Frank Guerra) writes:
>   I've looked thorugh ftp archives, I've asked other newsgroups, I've been
> up and down the mountain and still I have not found an implementation of
> SLIP for the 3b2.  I hope that someone in this newsgroup can be of SOME
> assistance.  I've seen references to the osu-cis archive.  What is it's
> full name and IP address?  All really useful comments will probably receive
> some small token of my eternal gratitude (hint : this is a bribe).

I would guess that there is at least one (commercial) implementation
of SLIP available.  It would be in the WIN/3B products, if anywhere,
available from AT&T.

Do you have TCP/IP (i.e. WIN/3B) for your 3B?  If not, a simple SLIP
implementation won't do you much good.

I would also guess that if you could find any implementation of TCP/IP
and/or SLIP for SysV STREAMS, it could be hammered into working on a
3B2, given that you don't mind mucking with kernel level code, and
that you know something about TCP/IP.  I've not actually tried this
yet, though I hope to in the near future.  I'm thinking particularly
of some STREAMS modules I've heard rumors about.  They supposedly
implement TCP/IP, SLIP, and AX.25.  The last place I heard anything
about them is in the proceedings of last year's "ARRL Annual Computer
Networking Conference".  The "10'th Annual Computer Networking
Conference", sponsored by the ARRL and CRRL, will be held in London,
Ontario, Canada on Sept. 22.  I hope to hear more about these drivers
and other neat things there.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3-TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA