How to add a 3rd party scsi to an AT&T 3b2

Steve Friedl friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US
Sat Sep 29 04:23:24 AEST 1990

Geoff Coleman provides some info on adding third-party SCSI to a 3B2:

> [...]
>    - run ./edittbl -i to add a device and answer the questions
> 	- The first entry is the make and must be padded out to 8 characters
>         - The second entry is the model and must be padded out to 16
>           characters.

One must be careful with this.  It is true that the fields have the
mentioned widths, but some devices seem to treat the Inquiry Response
as one 24-byte field instead of the two fields mentioned above: NCR
is guilty of this on their tape controller products.  This is a sample
from my edt_data file:

	/vendor\/----product----\
	vvvvvvvvpppppppppppppppp

	CDC     94171-9
	EMULEX  MD24/S2     ESDI
	NCR H6210-STD1-01-46C632
	NCR H6210-STD1-01-46C632
	NCR ADP-53          OEM

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / I speak for me only / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"There are no technical problems that marketing can't overcome" - Gary W. Keefe