UNIX-pc starlan to PC starlan? Can it be done?

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.ssdl.com
Mon Sep 24 16:05:39 AEST 1990

I'm about to get a few starlan cards for the UNIX-pc (aka 3B1, 7300, etc).
The UNIX-pc starlan cards are supposed to talk (what I've heard is
refered to as) "starlan 1" -- or 1mb/sec (rather than the 10mb/sec of
the "new" starlan).

Since I know very little about starlan, does someone out there know if:

	1.  starlan cards for PC compatibles will talk to the UNIX-pc
	    starlan boards properly?  If there are only specific cards,
	    which ones?  Where can I get them?  What is the cost?

	2.  Will the UNIX-pc talk to the PC the same as UNIX-pc to UNIX-pc?

What I would like to do is wire three 3B1s and 2 PC compatibles (one
runs Interactive 386/ix, the other runs DOS) together on the same network.
The DOS machine will supposedly talk to the UNIX machines using kermit 3.01
and some kind of driver.  I only know a little about what will happen
with the PC running Interactive UNIX.  The UNIX-pcs are no problem.

If anyone out there has set-up such a configuration, I would appreciate
hearing what you did and how you did it.  Any kind of clarification of
terms (if I screwed-up, and I probably did) would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gil.
--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil at limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas