6386 300Mb Hard Disk

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Mon Sep 24 00:46:48 AEST 1990

I've had success with installing a large hard disk (Priam 330 meg)
as Unit 0 on my home-made 33 MHz 386 mahcine.  I run DOS 3.3 and
AT&T Unix 3.2.1.  One odditiy is that DOS has to be in the first
partition.  I have 30 megs of DOS and 300 megs of Unix.  I let the
install program partition the Unix side on its own, and it broke
the disk into root, usr and usr2, all of which are less than 150
megs hmmm...

You do indeed need to remove jumper W8 on either the 1006 or 1007
controller.  If you  are using more than 36 sectors per track, the
1007 controller is needed to handle the 15 megabit/sec data rate.

I didn't use the AT&T customer diagnostic disk because it didn't
recognize the parameters passed back by the Priam drive.  I have
the 1007-V-SE2 controller that has the floppy port and ROM.  The
ROM has a formatter at c800:5 that sets the CMOS and formats the
drive.  The on-screen menu is self-explanatory.  The 1007 sets the
HDU type to a dummy value of 1, which looks strange but works
correctly (The controller retrieves the parameters by querrying the
ESDI drive).

If you have the 1006 or 1007 without on-board ROM, you can call
Western Digital at 800-832-4778, go through the voice mail maze and
have them send you a floppy disk with WDFORMAT on it.  WD is very
good about sending out free documentation and is usually pretty
helpful on the phone.  You can also download WDFORMAT from their
support BBS at 714-756-8176.  If you call, have WD send you the
installation and Technicala Reference Manuals for your controller;
they're pretty interesting and useful.

==Bill==
--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511