Need info on difference betw. 7300 and 3B1 power supply, di

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Sep 16 10:39:33 AEST 1990

templon at copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon)
in <58771 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> writes:

	[...]
	Could someone elaborate on this (are there 60-70 Mb half-height drives
	out there with decent access times?) Also, does this also mean that
	there are other ways around having to have a 3B1 (instead of 7300)
	power supply?

The Miniscribe 3085 is faster (22mS vs. 28mS) than the 6085 which accompanies
the 3B1; I've a bunch of these in my 7300 systems.  There's also the
Microscience HH-1090 but I have no experience with that drive.  You'd also
need to change the WD1010 to a WD2010 and use the new s4diag for formatting
since the 3085 has 1170 cylinders (don't know offhand the geometry of HH1090).

For all PRACTICAL purposes, the only electrical difference between the several
7300 and 3B1 power supplies is the current available on the +12VDC; the 3B1
supplies 5A and the various 7300 suppply from 3.0 to 3.5A.

>From a long-term reliability point of view, it makes sense to install a 3B1
power supply in the 7300 since it will be less-stressed electrically than
the 7300 supply, esp. if you fill all the expansion slots (some of which DO
use +12VDC).

P.S.: WHY do you continually restrict your postings to "USA"?  By doing so,
you've answered your OWN question why you don't get responses!  Large numbers
of 3B1/7300/UNIXPC owners/operators are in Canada, Europe, Asia, South America
and other places.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]