Frequently asked questions and hints about the AT&T UNIX PC (1 of 2)

Brinton Cooper abc at adm.BRL.MIL
Sun Sep 30 13:30:44 AEST 1990

The recently posted questions, answers, and hints about the UNIX PC are
a very good idea, especially for someone who is not sure what questions
to ask.

Is there someone out there who is sufficiently knowledgable about the
ATT 3B2 to do the same for that machine?

It's rather time to stop pretending that this is a "profesional grade"
machine that should not be contaminated by nonstandard software and
home-grown hardware hacks.  Prices for the software needed to upgrade my
model 300 to be a useful machine would buy a 386 machine with Unix!

One or two brave souls have attempted a port of GCC to the 3B2.  I was
going to attempt this  myself, but I cannot even find out how to get a
good and correct machine description.

There are many, many "low end" 3B2 machines lying in basements, closets,
and university undergraduate labs.  They represent no market for a $1000
compiler or a $3000  mass storage system, but they do represent
comptuers that could do useful work.

Perhaps it's time for comp.sys.att.homebrew or, perhaps,  an e-mail list
for "3B2 users."  If you're interested in a list, send  me e-mail. I
don't promise anything, but I have a dozen names of folks in the same
boat.

--
_Brinton Cooper		BRL - Where "Research" is our Middle Name.

--
_Brinton Cooper		BRL - Where "Research" is our Middle Name.