Help me make my 3B2/400 run . . .

Squish almquist at cis.udel.edu
Thu Feb 7 15:21:41 AEST 1991

I recently obtained a 3B2/400 from an institution that I work at.  They hadn't
been using it in over 2 years.  I took it home, turned it on, and <BEEP> it
complained about NVRAM or something like that.  According to the manuals, it
means the battery is most likely dead.  OK, no big deal.  I've got a line on
a place to buy a battery although, I do remember someone telling me that the
Tadiran battery was rechargable - just leave your system on.  Doing this for
2 days didn't improve the battery's health.  Anyways, I'm put into FIRMWARE
mode and I continue using the MCP command.  I select unix and the hard drive
(WOW, it appears that I've got 4Megs, 2 - 72Meg hard drives, and a tape drive
unit - speaking of which, what kind of tapes can I use with this tape drive?)
and the system starts to grind away.  After a while, I get the login prompt!
Oh goody!  What a minute, I don't know any of the passwords and neither do the
people that gave me the system.  BUMMER!  Looking through the STACKS AND STACKS
of manuals I find out that I'm going to have to do a partial reload.  I've got
well over 100 discs.  I finally find some gray discs labelled UNIX System V,
Essential Utilities Disk - 1 thru 5.  I didn't find 5 discs label Core or
whatever.  Are these the right discs?  Am I missing discs?  Anyways, putting
disc #1 in the drive and rebooting the following happens:

	FIRMWARE MODE

	Enter name of program to execute [  ]: unix
		Possible load devices are:

	Option Number    Slot     Name
	---------------------------------------
	       0          0     FD5
	       1          0     HD72
	       2          0     HD72
	       3          6     CTC

	Enter Load Device Option Number [1 (HD72)]: 0

	UNIX System V Release 2.0 3B2 Version 2
	groucho
	Copyright (c) 1984 AT&T Technologies, Inc.
	All Rights Reserved

	3B2 UNIX Release 1.1a Installation

	1  Full Restore
	2  Partial Restore
	3  Release 1.0 Upgrade

	Enter "help" for additional information.

	Selection? [ 1 2 3 quit help ]: 2

	-- Partial Restore --

	This will replace the core system files on the hard disk with those
	originally distributed. Other files will not be affected. This will
	UNDO your terminal and user login configuration.

	Continue? [ y n help ]: y

	Checking the hard disk filesystems

	  /dev/rdsk/c1d0s0
	  File System: root Volume: 3.0

	  ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
	  ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
	  ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
	  ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
	  ** Phase 5 - Check Free List
	  593 files 11368 blocks 1068 free
	  *** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ***

	  CAN NOT READ: BLK 1
	  CONTINUE?  yes

	fsys: /dev/dsk/c1d0s2: No such device or address
	INSTALLATION NOT COMPLETED

	SELF-CHECK

	FIRMWARE MODE

<BAM>  Back to square one.  What's going on?  Any suggestions.  I need to
remove the password for root so that I may log onto the system.  Doing a
partial reload is the only way - right?  But, it's not letting me complete
the reload.  Am I missing some discs?  HELP!!!

ALSO, I have TWO 5620 AT&T monitors.  Anyone want them?  You pay shipping and
their yours.  I believe they work - they power up at least.  I don't have any
cables.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

- Mike Almquist (almquist at udel.edu)