3B2 floppy light

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Sat Feb 16 10:12:33 AEST 1991

I have an old 3B2/310 that seems to be showing its age, perhaps
someone has some idea of what it's doing.  It's a 2Mb machine
with a pair of 72Mb disks (one in an XM with the ctc), hports
card and ni card.  It's running WIN-TCP 3.0 and RFS 1.2.  I mention
the latter two because I don't remember seeing this phenomenon
before I put it on the ethernet.

>From time to time the floppy activity LED will light and stay on
for random and indeterminate periods of time.  The spindle motor
isn't on and the floppy seems to work normally when it is actually
in use.  The drive is advertised along with the ctc, but it isn't
mounted by anyone.  I have tried stopping RFS to see if that's
what stimulates it but it doesn't seem to matter.

My question and concern is whether or not this is normal or maybe
is early warning of something bad about to happen.  Has anyone
else seen this phenomenon?  Can it be safely ignored?  Thanks!
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill