6300 networking

Jim Mercer merce at iguana.uucp
Thu Feb 7 13:46:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb3.035942.23719 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu> beh at po.CWRU.Edu (Bob E. Hetzel) writes:

>In a previous article, hashemi at leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) says:
>

>>Howdy net.folk. A friend is trying to get some 6300 systems
>>networked using Novel Netware. Is this possible? Anyone out there
>>has done it? Can you shed some lite on the subject please?
>
>it can be done, but there are memory conflicts of
>some sort with the standard at&t starlan fiber card
>that we use here at case western reserve univ.  we
>have fixed the problem by using 3com cards that have
>onboard memory.  cabletron cards also work (at least on
>a 6300+) .

we have a classroom full of single floppy 6300's which used to connect to a
3B2 using starlan 1 NIC's and starlan software.

we dropped a starlan 1 NIC into a Novell server, plugged it into the hub,
rebooted the 6300's with a novell style boot disk and whamo, instant novell
network.

i was quite pleased with how smoothly it changed over.

--
[ Jim Mercer   work: jim at lsuc.on.ca  home: merce at iguana.uucp  +1 519 570-3467 ]
[     "I am pro-military.  I am not pro-war.  There is a big difference"      ]