Return-Receipt's

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Tue Feb 12 12:16:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb09.213935.11104 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <58 at morwyn.UUCP> forrie at morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>>I have compliled successfully and USE smail3.1 PL18 on my unix-pc.  But
>>I noted that smail doesn't automatically generate a return receipt as
>>other systems do, and wondered if someone has resolved this issue?
>
>It's been brought up before and the general conclusion was that the
>easiest way to do it was to write a shell script to look for the
>receipt request and generate the response.  Then add a transport to
>smail to pipe the message to this program (see the uux definition
>in the transports file to see how to pipe to a program).  Then just
>add this transport as a "shadow transport" to the existing local
>delivery transports.
>
>Les Mikesell
>  les at chinet.chi.il.us

I have done something like this here at ddsw1, and have of course also put
it on a few other systems :-)

Basically you do as Les says.....  I did it with a little script that also
inserts the contents of a given file into the return receipt (nice for
"customized" receipts).

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]