I-node limit on 3B2 with System V R3.2.2

Novorolsky pgn at cbnewsc.att.com
Wed Feb 6 00:47:20 AEST 1991

>From article <768 at skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>, by hellwig at skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ):
> I'm running System V R 3.2.2 on a 3B2/600G machine, and it seems that there
> is a limit of 64K i-nodes for a file system.  If this is true, then this
> would be a very serious failing, especially for someone like me who
> is trying to keep a full feed of USENET on this machine.  So, I'm desperately
> hoping that someone in this group can show me a solution for this problem.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Oliver

This is a limitation of the UNIX System V file system (S5) type.
The inode number in an s5 directory structure is as an unsigned
short (16bits) and the number of inodes in a file system is
therefore 65536 (64K). (Look in /usr/include/sys/fs/s5dir.h)

If you need mode than 64K inodes, you will have to break
up your news directories to span more than one filesystem.