RFS between 3B2 & NCR Tower (could be nodename)

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sun Feb 3 09:19:06 AEST 1991

In article <2002 at ssbn.WLK.COM> bill at ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>I have a peculiar phenomenon trying to get an NCR Tower 32/400
>and a 3B2/310 to cooperate using RFS.

>With either the 3B2 or the Tower as the primary nameserver I can
>get RFS going fine and everyone on the network has their advertised
>resources displayed with nsquery.  The 3B2 can mount any advertised
>resource from any member of the domain but if another member of the
>domain attempts to mount a 3B2 advertised resource it fails with
>mount: could not connect to remote machine
>The '386 and NCR do just fine amongst each other and the 3B2 has no
>trouble with the NCR or '386 stuff, but I can't mount anything from
>the 3B2.  I'm not using passwords, but that's the only thing I haven't
>tried.

I ran into exactly this behaviour with an AT&T '386, even with another
AT&T '386 running as the nameserver.  There were some 3B2's on the
same net as well, but that didn't seem to have anything to do
with the problem.  What did affect the problem was the nodename of
the machine.  My first setup used the nodename of "afbf00" and had
exactly the problem you describe.  Changing only the nodename (to
practically anything else) made it work fine.  I repeated the change
several times because I couldn't believe it myself.  Every time I
used "afbf00" the advertised names would show up in a nsquery but
no other machine could mount them.  Strange but true....

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us