Adding a disk to a 6386...

Bob Daniel rad at genco.bungi.com
Wed Feb 6 11:47:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan18.040535.17078 at DMI.USherb.CA> beauchem at terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Denis Beauchemin) writes:
>Hi there,
>
>My technician tried to configure a "foreign" SCSI disk on a 6386 (with SCSI, of
>course) and was unable to get it recognized by the system.  What are the steps
>he should have followed?

Which 6386 do you have?  Olivetti or Intel?  If Olivetti (16mhz or 20mhz) you
need to run the setup disk and setup the heads, cylinders, etc for you drive.
If on the Intel box (25mhz, 33mhz), you enter setup by holding down
control-alt-insert while booting up (after the keyboard test).  A screen
comes up to allow configuring the hard disk parameters.  To low level the
hard disk, use the Customer Diagnos disk, select floppy utilities and hold down
contol-alt-F.  This is a hidden menu that contains low level format utilities.
You can then low level format your drive.