RFS between 3B2 & NCR Tower

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Fri Feb 1 09:07:36 AEST 1991

I have a peculiar phenomenon trying to get an NCR Tower 32/400
and a 3B2/310 to cooperate using RFS.  The problem isn't as bad
as some other NCR<->AT&T communications breakdowns, but it's
annoying.

With either the 3B2 or the Tower as the primary nameserver I can
get RFS going fine and everyone on the network has their advertised
resources displayed with nsquery.  The 3B2 can mount any advertised
resource from any member of the domain but if another member of the
domain attempts to mount a 3B2 advertised resource it fails with
mount: could not connect to remote machine
The '386 and NCR do just fine amongst each other and the 3B2 has no
trouble with the NCR or '386 stuff, but I can't mount anything from
the 3B2.  I'm not using passwords, but that's the only thing I haven't
tried.

Has anyone gotten 3B2s to interoperate with other RFS'?  Why RFS?  Two
reasons actually; 1) I have it for all of the machines (no NFS for the
Tower or the 3B2), and 2) I can use devices at the device level (e.g.
I can read a '386 diskette on the Tower or 3B2, it works!).  I want to
be able to share files that are on the 3B2 with the other machines.
Any ideas?  Am I (as usual) SOL?
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill