HD still vacationing (was: 3B1 hard disk gone south?)

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Wed Jan 16 05:20:32 AEST 1991

In article <795 at hico2.UUCP>, kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
> I re-made the diagnostics disk using instructions from Peter Schmidt
> (...mit-eddie!winter!pschmidt)(Thanks again!), and the new diagnostics
> disks worked fine! . . . Sooooo, now the floppy disk works
> and the hard disk doesn't.  At least it's a simpler problem.

I CAN hear the hard disk rotating now, but I still get the
"Can't Recal:Response = 4" message when I try anything, including
parking the heads.  The disk IS a Hitachi, not the feared Seagate
(with no head self-parking)

I have some new hard disks on the way, maybe those babys'll
make tracking this down easier.

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                      internet: kak at hico2.westmark.com

"My disk has lost its memory!  Every time I ask it to do something,
 it's forgotten how!  It just keeps saying it can't recall,
 and it's forgotten how to spell, too!"