Brownouts, shorts, explosions and the unix pc.

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Jan 6 19:51:01 AEST 1991

jfischer at cbnewsm.att.com (james.fischer)
in <1991Jan6.043817.13755 at cbnewsm.att.com> writes:

	[...]
	Of course, if your try this at home, put your surge protection
	in on the UTILITY side of the CVT!!!

Good advice!

	As an aside, is "osu-cis" the archive server used by this group?
	(I am new to this newsgroup...)
	Can one ftp from it?
	What is the address?

"osu-cis" is one of the primary archive sites for 3B1/UNIXPC/PC7300 material.

If you "do" ftp, the specific site you want is cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
[IP 128.146.8.62] and the relevant path is ~ftp/pub/att7300 (which has one
subdirectory, /STORE, for material that used to reside at AT&T's "The STORE!").

The other "interesting" osu-cis site is tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
[IP 128.146.8.60] at which you'll find all the GNU/FSF material as would be
found at MIT.

uucp access to osu-cis appears in the monthly "FAQ" for this newsgroup.

Also, at least one person has stated intent to set up a 3B1 system in
California shortly to serve the west coast as an archive site.  Details will
be posted as they become available, and there "may" be a slight subscription
fee to defray operating expenses (phone, power, AC line prot., backup media,
etc.).  I'll relay any info I get in this regards, and, no, it won't be at my
site since I'm having a difficult enough time just getting the phone lines I
need, let alone an extra one for public access.

It's possible, too, that if/when we get the Silicon Valley AT&T Users' Group
incorporated that AT&T may "help" us out setting up a uucp site as they did
the Silicon Valley Computer Society.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]