3B1 Rising Popularity

Forrie Aldrich forrie at morwyn.UUCP
Sat Jan 26 04:16:04 AEST 1991

|    Of course, if the 7300/3B1 wasn't an orphan, it wouldn't
| necessarily be low-priced. Are there *any* 68010-based Unix
| systems still in production?
|
|    I once asked the net why people didn't make little
| daughter-boards to replace a 68000 with a 68010+MMU, and use them
| to make useable computers out of all those cheap 68000 boxes.
| People kept saying "why not just use a 68030 instead?" Fine, if
| you've got money to burn, but some of us don't...

Yes it would be NICE if someone could figure out a way to use the
68030 on the UNIX-PC... believe me, it would be incredible.  But
unfortunately, I think it's impossible at this point.  As doing such
would require all new hardware (mostly) AND I believe a new
KERNEL --- who's gonna write it?  Because of different address space,
and all that complicated stuff.  BUT if someone DOES it, let ME know!
:-)

Forrie
--
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|  ...uunet!zinn!eci!morwyn!forrie    |forrie at morywn.UUCP