3B1 hard disk gone south? (HELP!)

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Wed Jan 9 05:51:05 AEST 1991

In article <671 at hico2.UUCP>, I (kak at hico2.westmark.com) write:
> In article <649 at hico2.UUCP>, I (kak at hico2.westmark.com) write:
> > I MOVED my unix-pc, and suddenly the machine won't boot
> > off of the harddisk -- all 4 leds remain lit, and the screen
> > fills up with those cute little squares.
. . .
> Now, the diagnostic disk won't boot EITHER.
> I have no idea what would cause a progressive failure like this.
> Maybe it's time to check the power supply . . . . .

Well, I haven't checked the power supply YET.  I've un-plugged and
re-plugged all of the socketed chips on the top part of the motherboard,
and done the same with the connectors to the harddisk and floppydisk.
I've remove the harddisk.  I tried exchanging the WD1010 for a WD2010
I have waiting to go in.  I tried putting 220 volts AC directly across
the M68010 leads.  No, I didn't do that.  But I still get those cute
li'l squares no matter what I do, and I can't boot the diagnostic floppy.

The machine is still interacting with the floppy, if I open the
latch, the generation of the squares stops.

I'm not sure whether there's anything useful to try with the bottom
of the motherboard, but I'm not really sure how to get to it anyway.
I could try unscrewing screws at random, but the last time I did that
(on another machine) I ended up with several screws left over.

Does anybody have any problem-specific ideas?   I'm usually a
software person, and most of my hardware experience is with using
hammers and screwdrivers.  So if you have suggestions, make sure
you include a good mail address so I can ask you what you mean.

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
          { uunet | rutgers | att }!westmark!hico2!kak
                         {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                         internet: kak at hico2.westmark.com