Adding a disk to a 6386...

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Jan 27 12:15:54 AEST 1991

beauchem at terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Denis Beauchemin)
in <1991Jan18.040535.17078 at DMI.USherb.CA> writes:

	My technician tried to configure a "foreign" SCSI disk on a 6386 (with
	SCSI, of course) and was unable to get it recognized by the system.
	What are the steps he should have followed?

What SCSI interface card do you have in your 6386?  Reason I ask is that I
assisted our Users' Group secretary adding four (4) SCSI drives to her 6386
equipped with the Adaptec 1542 and there was no problem whatsoever (with a
mixture of Quantum and other drives).

You may want to peruse the postings in comp.periphs.scsi, especially those
from Roy Neese, for additional help.

Please be sure to specify the SCSI interface (i.e. your "Host Adapter") and
the brand(s)/model(s) of your SCSI HDs; that information is required because
many extant SCSI devices are not exactly compatible with other manufacturer's
devices.

And it DOES make a difference whether you're configuring those SCSI HDs for
DOS or for UNIX, so include all information.

Roy is an expert configuring SCSI for DOS-based machines, so I strongly urge
to you see his postings in comp.periphs.scsi.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com ]