C++ for 3B1

Bruce D. Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Fri Jan 4 16:46:44 AEST 1991

A friend forwarded this recently - it is a Bix resume
of a person/company who, among other things, supplies
C++ for the 3B1...

 --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< ---------

comeau, Greg Comeau, Richmond Hill, NY
Last on: Wed Dec 19 17:13:54 1990
comeau Greg Comeau
Comeau Computing
91-34 120th Street
Richmond Hill, NY 11418
(718)945-0009

CEO of:
Comeau Computing, producers of Comeau C++ version 2.1,
                  producers of CCsh, "The UNIX Bourne Shell Compiler"

Moderator of:
the BIX c.language conference.
the BIX c.plus.plus conference.
the NYPC C-SIG BBS TURBOC and UNIX conferences (1-212-473-CSIG).

Writer:
Insightful and definitive C articles for Microsoft Systems Journal.
UNIX System Administration columnist for UNIX Today! Magazine.
Various articles in PC Magazine, BYTE, etc on UNIX, C, and C++.
Upcoming columnist for The C++ Journal.

Lecturer:
Gives talks to local user groups about C and C++.  Teaches from time to time.
Currently preparing C++ training seminars.

Member of:
X3J16 (ANSI C++ committee).
Can be reached via:
   BIX: comeau
   CIS: 72331,3421
 voice: 718-945-0009
Usenet: [uunet!]attmail!csanta!c++

Some verbiage:
I have used machines ranging from micros to mainframes in business and
systems programming.  My current state-of-computing returns me to
UNIX and C programming.  As such, I consider myself a C mavin and C
"language lawyer".  Just as well, since I moderate the c.language conference.
These days I've sorta become a traitor to C since I'm a C++ junkie.  No
big deal though since there is a close relationship between C and C++.
C++ is better though.

Formed Comeau Computing at the end of '85 doing consulting.  Soon after,
we entered the commercial software industry and found ourselves running around
in all sorts of circles.  Thank God my head is finally healed from its being
banged against so many walls.

In December 86 we produced a tangible product despite slipping lots of our
deadlines and in the end of January 87 we officially released our first
product called CCsh.  CCsh is a UNIX Bourne Shell Compiler.  It has easily
been ported to 100 different UNIX machines since that time as well as other
compatible operating systems.  It's also worth nothing that we've recently
(3Q90) completed a port of CCsh to Mark William's COHERENT.

Since January 1989, we have been heavily involved in the C++ world
as a C++ vendor.  At that time we began selling Comeau C++ 1.2.1 for UNIX
386's for only $250.00.  Comeau C++ is a licensed and solid port of AT&T's
de facto standard cfront.  Cfront is a translating compiler.  In August
1989, we upgraded and relicensed from AT&T the 2.0 spec of C++, therefore
being the first supporting all 2.0 features added to the language, especially
multiple inheritance and type-safe linkage.  We then created Comeau C++ 2.0
ports for the AT&T 3B2, AT&T UNIX PC 7300 & 3B1, and MS-DOS.  Finally, in May,
1990, we upgraded again and licensed cfront 2.1 from AT&T.  Comeau Computing was
again the first vendor to release C++ 2.1 (for all the platforms listed above).
Cfront 2.1 included many bug fixes and some enhancements to the language.
C++ 2.1 is the spec of the language being used by the ANSI C++ committee.
We are proud to say that we are a major and multi-platformed C++ vendor.
(And as of November 1, 1990, still the only 2.1/ANSI base vendor).
We have also completed a Sun 3 port of Comeau C++.

1990 should prove more fruitful as we add new products and as our current ones
develop further.  The C++ market is still in its infancy and there is lots
of exciting products that we hope to bring to the market in 3Q90 and 4Q90.
For instance, we are planning support for MS-Windows, OS/2, and the Amiga
computer as well as some larger mainframes.  Also, Sun 4, Sun Sparc, and
IBM RS/6000 ports will be completed.  By the end of the year, we hope to
add even more ports and are making efforts to enter the C++ tool market.
(Note: the IBM RS/6000 is now in beta and the Amiga port should be out
before the end of 1990).

Comeau Computing is also available for writing, user group lecturing, and
select consulting.

Resolution:
Being consumers ourselves, we are sick and tired of being kicked around
and then asked to "pay up".  We could get that kind of treatment for
free.  Since we feel that the customer deserves respect, Comeau Computing
has undertaken the following resolutions:

    o The customer is always right.  Period!  Case closed.
    o We are the sole distributor of our products.  No dealers.  No runarounds.
    o We offer an unlimited and free access to our technical staff.
    o We will NEVER sell a copy-protected or booby-trapped disk.
    o Our programs come with a 30 day full-refund guarantee.
    o We have a two-day shipping policy with the hope of a less than five day
      turnaround for you.
    o No charge for shipping and handling.

We hope to be adding more resolutions as time goes by.  And as you can see,
we try to make our customers happy.  If we don't, then we don't blame them
for not coming back.

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb
 _< /_	 "Que es mas macho: Gorbachev, o Shevardnadze?" - lala