Ether driver misbehaving?

Jeffrey L Bromberger jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Fri Jan 4 02:51:17 AEST 1991

Here's something else to think about.  Running 3.51 (Yeah, I know :-)
with an ethernet card.  When the machine boots, it comes up like
usual.  But here's the twist - if, instead of logging in, you move the
mouse, strange characters come out!  In fact, I can't see the mouse
pointer anywhere.  Button presses give things like hf, if, gf.  Moving
the mouse prints out letters interspersed with 'f's.  The problem goes
away when you press return.   The /etc/lddrv/drivers file has the
drivers listed in this order:
	lipc
	xt
	ate
	cmb
	ether
	kbd

Is this the mysterious "Load the Ether First" syndrome in a different
incarnation?

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility
jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu			jeffrey at ccnysci.BITNET
	Anywhere!{cmcl2,philabs,phri}!ccnysci!jeffrey